Merrill Norton, Pharm.D., NCAC II, CCS, CCDP-D
Clinical Associate Professor
- Office: Pharmacy South, Rm PS222C Athens, GA 30602USA
- Voice: 706-542-5371
- Fax: 706-542-5288
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor of Pharmacy , University of Georgia 2008
Anticoagulant Therapy Certification , University of Georgia 2006
Doctor of Pharmacy (D.Ph.) Honorary , Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy 2005
Clinical DUI Evaluator (CDE) , GA Dept. of HR 1996
Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS) , GA Addiction Counselors Association 1993
Talbott Addiction Medicine Fellowship , Ridgeview Institute/Smyrna Hospital 1986-1988
Certified Addiction Counselor II (CAC II) , GA Addiction Counselors Association 1987
Registered Pharmacist , GA State Board of Pharmacy 1974
Addiction Pharmacy- the specialty areas of addiction medications, psychiatric medications, and pain management medications;
Addiction Counseling and Treatment Modalities;
Psychopharmacology of psychotropic medications;
Pain Management of the addicted patient.
Certified Addiction Counselor (CACII) 2013
Certified Co-Occuring Disorders Professional (CCDP)
International Certified Co-Occuring Disorders Professional-Diplomate (ICCDP-D)
University of Georgia Institute of Continuing Judicial Education Faculty of Excellence Award-October 2006
Doctor of Pharmacy ( Honorary) -Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy-2005
President’s Award 2005-Georgia Addiction Counselors Association-2005
Distinguished Faculty Award, Southeastern School for Alcohol & Other Drug Studies, 1997, 2004.
Helped develop “Prescription Drugs: Dangerously Legal,” the first documentary on prescription drug abuse for the Spanish speaking population in our region, through the Clinic for Education, Treatment and Prevention of Addiction, Inc. (CETPA)
M. Norton, & G. Talbott (1999, 2000). Practitioners’ Guide For Medications In Alcohol and Drug Dependence. Atlanta: Talbott Recovery Campus-Charter Behavioral Health Systems.
Merrill Norton. (1992, 1993,1994 ,1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 ). The Pharmacology of Psychoactive Chemical Use, Abuse, and Dependence. NAADAC Press, Chemical Health Associates Press.
M. Norton & G. Talbott ( 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005,2006, 2007, 2008 ). Practitioner’s Guide for Medications In Alcohol and Drug Dependence. Atlanta: Talbott Recovery Campus-Universal Health System Press.
M.Norton ( 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008) From Disgrace to Grace: Issues of Shame and Recovery Workbook. Chemical Health Associates Press.
M.Norton (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 ) Contempt Prior To Investigation: The Neurobiology of Anger, Trauma, and Dependence Workbook. Chemical Health Associates Press.
Talbott, G. D., Farley, W. J., Waits, E. D., Gallegos, N. V., & Norton, MA. (1984). The impaired physician - A characterization of 250 physicians with two years recovery in the Medical Association of Georgia’s program. Alcoholism.
Published Baldwin, K., Speir,J., Scott.E., Norton,M., A Brief Window of Opportunity: Heroin in North Fulton County - A Report for the Office of the Fulton County District Attorney, Applied Research Services, Inc. Publication, December 2015.
Cross,WJ, Baldwin JN, Fingerson BE, Norton MA. The Impaired Professional- Treating the Addicted Pharmacist: Defining the Issues. Counselor Magazine, December 2015;16(6) 60-65.
Talbott, G D, Allen GG, Weaver G K, Norton MA (2006) Opiate Addicted Patients: The Misconception of Chronic Acetaminophen Ingestion , Addictive Disorders and Their Treatment, March 2006,Vol 5,Issue 1 ,19-24.
Norton, MA. ,Talbott, G.D.,( 2000) Characterization of Pharmacists Who Develop Substance Abuse Disorders.
The OR Pharmacy Services Organization Bulletin ,Winter 2000,vol.XIV,No.3
Publications/CDs/DVDs of Merrill Norton Pharm.D., D.Ph., NCAC II, CCS currently in print
1.The Pharmacology of Psychoactive Chemical Use, Abuse, and Dependence 8th Edition
First published in 1992 by Chemical Health Publications
Peer reviewed by the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors National Certification Commission- this is the organization that sets national standards and board exams for over 40,000 certified addictions counselors.
This textbook is currently the accepted pharmacology textbook used as a part of the required study materials for candidates who are sitting the national board exams in addiction counseling.
Number of copies in print 40,000.
2. The Practitioners’ Guide For Medications In Alcohol and Drug Dependence
First Published 1999 by Charter Press, Inc
Peer Reviewed by Executive Committee of the American Society of Addiction Medicine
Number of copies in print: 25,000
3.From Disgrace To Grace: Issue of Shame and Recovery Workbook
©2008 Chemical Health Publications
First Published 2000
Peer Reviewed by Georgia Di
4. The Development of the Student Pharmacist Chemical Health Scale(SPCHS). Mental Health Clinic. 2013;3(6):100
Norton M, Al-Shatnawi SF.
5. The Student Pharmacist Chemical Health Scale(SPCHS) Lifetable Analysis of the Percentage of Student Pharmacists Transitioning from Alcohol Use to Dependence: A Research Brief.
Mental Health Clinic 2013;3(6):100
Norton M, Ford H.
6. Do Pharmacists Have a Greater Risk For Addiction?
Prescription, Oklahoma Pharmacy Assosciation OPHP, December 2013 :8(4): 8-11
7. Pharmacist’s Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Training Module 0.3CEU’shttps://www.rxugace.com/programs/details/842-georgia-prescription-drug-abuse-prevention-initiativeACPE # 0014-9999-14-001-H01-PThis continuing education activity is being offered as a public service through funding from the Georgia Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention Initiative.
1. "Do Pharmacists have a higher risk for addiction?" Presented at the Southeastern Pharmacists Recovery Network Convference sponsored by the Georgia Pharmacy Foundation, Simpsonwood Conference Center, Atlanta, GA.
2. Pharmacology for the Addiction Professional, Georgia Addiction Counselors’ Association Annual Meeting, St. Simon Island, Georgia
3. Presented “ The Neuropharmacology of The Anti-Reward Brain System” to the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, Destin Florida
4. Presented “ The Pain of Pleasure- The Neurobiology of Trauma and Addiction for the McLeod Professional Training Program, Charlotte, North Carolina
5. Presented “ Medication Use In Recovery- Prescription and OTC Drugs” to professional staff and patients at Penfield Residential Treatment Program, Union Point, Georgia
6. Presented Addiction Pharmacy Update and The Pain of Pleasure-The Anti-Reward Brain System at the 2014 Substances of Abuse Seminar on October 31, 2014 at the UGA College of Pharmacy.
7. Presented a session on Evaluating the Risk of Substance Abuse at the 2015 Mental Health Symposium an annual program for pharmacists and other health professionals practicing in the area of mental health. February 3-4, 2015, Athens, GA.
8. Presented “From Disgrace to Grace: An Overview of the Addiction and Recovery Process through the 12 Steps and Medication Assisted Treatment Updates at First Annual American Pharmacists Association Institute on Alcoholism and Drug Dependences, Salt Lake City, Utah.
9. Presented “ The Professional Shame of Addiction: How Do I Recover From the Lost of a Profession” to the Mississippi Association of Recovering Pharmacists , Columbus, Mississippi.
10. Presented The Pharmacology of Medical Cannabinoids to the Tri-District Conference of the United States Federal Judicial Circuits at Callaway Gardens, Georgia.
11. Presented The Psychopharmacology of Substance Use Disorders: The Anti-Reward Brain System to the Mid-America Pharmacy Conference and Expo at Kansas City, Missouri.
12. Presented Reefer Madness: The Science of Leaf Marijuana and Medical Cannabinoids To The Blunt Truth-Will Marijuana Become Legal in 2016? Conference in Greenville, South Carolina.
13. Presented Forensic Marijuana: Cannabis Impairment Measurements at the Marijuana DUI Investigations- DRE Edition Green Lab Conference in Denver, Colorado
14. Invited keynote speaker at the Opioid Treatment Providers of Georgia annual conference, “Patient Question: Should I Take Buprenorphine or Methadone? - The Neurobiology of Opioid Use Disorders”, Lake Lanier Islands Georgia.
15. Presented Advances in the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorders: The Neuroscience of Opioid Use Disorder; UGA College of Pharmacy Mental Health Conference, Athens, Georgia
16. Presented The Psychopharmacology and Neuroscience of Substance Use Disorders, 2016 Midwest Pharmacy Expo/ Heartland PRN Conference, Des Moines, Iowa
17. Presented with Dr. Henry Young, Dr. Mike Friedline, and Katy Janousek, The Pain of Pleasure- RX Drug Abuse and Its Implications to the medical staff at the UGA University Health Services to kick off the UGA Safe Use of RX Medications Campaign;
18. Presented Alcohol, Marijuana, and Opioids: Pathways to Adolescent Addiction to the Hall County Schools, Drug Free Coalition of Hall County, and the Center Point Prevention Program, Gainesville, Georgia and
19. Presented with Susan Blank MD Medical Marijuana Truths on the “Detailing Addiction National Radio Program “ on America’s Web Radio, Atlanta, Georgia http://americaswebradio.com